Keep Texas Innovative is a campaign to stop the state's ill-conceived polices and audits that are creating an extraordinarily hostile environment for web related innovation. The State of Texas has applied exceedingly broad interpretations to the ill-conceived and outdated Data Processing and Information Services rules to discriminately tax virtually all web related professional services including custom programming, marketing and consulting.
If you provide these services and believe they are not taxable as professional services, you will likely be facing an audit and huge assessment for back taxes. If you have purchased a website, online marketing or custom application incorporating any web technology and did not pay sales tax, when audited you will be required to pay use tax.
- End tax discrimination against web related professional services
- Assure Texas organizations are not competitively disadvantaged with higher costs to access essential modern marketing and technology methods
- Assure Texas continues its place as a world leader in innovation
Whom this should matter to
- Web related professional service providers such as web designers & developers, software engineers and online marketers - if you haven't been audited and assessed for back taxes yet, you will be
- Organizations that rely on their website, online marketing or Internet technologies to compete
- Anyone with an interest in attracting and keeping innovative minds in the State of Texas
- Anyone who believe that Internet and web innovation is essential to Texas and U.S. economic development
- Anyone who believes in the principle that knowledge and information should not be taxed